This week’s Reading Response focuses on “The Careless Language of Sexual Violence” and “Mister Potato Head Drops the Mister — sort of.” Both of these articles present controversies in American culture in which something is either changing (in the case of Potato Heads) or something is being brought to our attention (in the case of Roxane Gay). For this Discussion Board, choose at least one of the readings (you may do both if you would like) and respond to it.
Remember to approach these discussions with kindness. As these topics may be more sensitive to some students than to others, it is important to recognize that everybody is different and approaches these topics with different experiences and levels of expertise. In these assignment, present your claims clearly and support them with evidence and reasoning.
1) Read “The Careless Language of Sexual Violence” and “Mister Potato Head Drops the Mister — sort of.” (the readings can be found in Module 2B)
2) In at least one paragraph, respond to one or both of the readings. You can choose which one! Make sure to include the following in your post:
- A topic sentence to each new paragraph.
- A brief discussion of one cause and effect you found in the article.
- Your thoughts on the article and the content the article covers (remember to support any claims you might make).
- A concluding sentence to your post.
3) After submitting your own post to the discussion board, make sure you comment on at least 3 of your peers’ posts. You can raise your own points in response to what others have written. Remember kindness!