The assignment will be a piece of coursework where you have to analyse the business strategy of a company of your choice. As part of the coursework assessment, you must analyse, in detail, the business strategy of your chosen company in the form of an individual academic report and provide a set of strategic recommendations for that chosen company.
The word limit is set at a maximum of 3500 words inclusive.
The word count of Maximum 3500 words should:
Include all the text, including introduction, in-text citations, quotations, footnotes and any other items not specifically excluded below.
Exclude cover page, executive summary/abstract, acknowledgments, declaration, bibliography/list of references and appendices. However, it is not appropriate to use diagrams or tables merely as a way of circumventing the word limit. If a student uses a table or figure as a means of presenting his/her own words, then this is included in the word count.
The summative assessment will require you to think critically, be able to analyse, evaluate by applying concepts and theories taught in class. Ideally, you should apply your own research skills in finding information and use your own initiative to develop insights into business strategy.
The assessed assignment is an individual academic report by providing you with an opportunity to identify any organization, and in detail, to examine a range of its business strategies, to critically evaluate them and to determine and/or discuss the suitability of the strategic choice or organisational response. This process allows you to demonstrate an analytical, evaluative and creative approach to formulating business strategies in this strategic management module.
You are required to engage with a real-life scenario and present an individual academic report. You may draw on subject specific knowledge, subject specific skills and other key skills, including problem-solving, critical thinking, analysis, evaluation and synthesis, demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the relevant analytical tools and frameworks to assess environments, strategies and strategic options. You must demonstrate ability to apply these understandings to specific business issues (or strategic initiatives or problems) that is prevalent and exist within the context of the chosen organisation. You must also manifest an ability to critique, generate strategic insights and generating strategic recommendations by balancing time and the need to make inferences and judgments from the information available.
Choosing a Company
You can choose any public listed company, whether it is local, international, multi-national or global company. Short background context of that public listed company should be given. Identify how this public listed company avoids strategy failure [identify the problem(s) / challenge(s) and provide solutions] This chosen public listed company should be successful. How does the company plan and execute strategic framework successfully?
Your task is to analyse the strategic framework adopted by the public listed company. Various strategic perspectives, tools, models, concepts and theories should be adopted in the process of discussing the strategic framework. You to consider the current strategic position the Company and to evaluate its business strategy from the perspective of strategic fit, resource-based view and strategic capabilities,
The use of SWOT, PESTEL, VRIN analysis, strategy clock, Porter’s 5 forces analysis, cultural web, warfare perspectives and so forth may be considered. You can choose the methods of analysis but your choice should be justified. The strategic analyses serve a crucial purpose in companies for determining the appropriateness of the business strategy for the future. While writing your strategic analysis report (or individual academic report), you are to prepare and ensure that the strategic recommendations are good for the future of the company.
You are to:
▪ understand the current strategy of the chosen company and analyse that strategy to provide recommendations for the business.
▪ choose any public listed company. How this public listed company avoid strategy failure and how does the company plan and execute strategic framework successfully.
▪ view the recent changing competitive condition (last 5 years) and business environment.
▪ use any strategic framework /theory /analysis tool covered in the module and any other relevant strategic tools, models and concepts for your application purpose.
▪ use at least 3 to 4 analysis tools in your assignment so that to achieve adequate analysis and to be able to generate sufficient strategic insights.
▪ show performance by applying, analyzing, evaluating, creating and/or generating good strategic recommendations. Descriptive writing is of little value unless it is related to strategy. Link across concepts, tools, or points that you are making and ensure you are providing insights into the business strategy of your chosen company.
▪ use academic references (Harvard Referencing Style). Some of your information sources will inevitably be the business press (FT, BBC Business News etc), online interviews of managers/executives, available case studies, and business services such as Mintel, FAME.
▪ introduce good academic work into your report by making it readable, clear language, logical sequence of ideas and consistent, and be proof-read prior to submission.
▪ make strategic recommendations for your chosen company as this is an important aspect of the assignment.
▪ avoid choosing random strategic analysis tools or frameworks. Only choose strategic tools or models that you can justify their use that will help you to explain the business strategy of your chosen company.
▪ provide explanation, detail and insights into the strategy. It is hard to obtain marks merely from describing.
▪ use report structure as this is an academic report (i.e. cover page, executive summary, table of contents, clear section titles for your body of report, references, and appendices if you have them).
▪ ensure timely submission well before or by the stipulated deadline.
This assessment method reflects conditions you will face when working for companies and when having to conduct strategic analyses of competitors or on behalf of clients (e.g., in consultancy). You will need to work under time constraints, you will not have full and perfect access to all information and you will need to make judgments based on analysis of data and information that you can get access to. Try to integrate information from across different analysis tools and methods for richer strategic insights.
Any citation style (APA, MLA, Chicago/Turabian, Harvard)
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.