1. Make sure that this essay is double spaced and composed according to the MLA format. Use 12-point font, and preferably Times New Roman.
2. Make sure that, in this essay, you are going to focus on establishing your position on an issue you chose for Essay #2. Review the organization of your body paragraphs and ensure that your organization follows a very specific structure of a Rogerian Argumentative Essay.
3. Make sure that you use third-person in this composition and establish your position clearly. Use first-person when appropriate– think about this writing in terms of its occasion and the primary focus you are trying to achieve through developing it. For instance, if you are presenting personal observations, it would be most appropriate to use first person voice in your composition.
4. Remember that this essay calls you to build your argument, at least in part, based on your empirical(first-hand) observations/ descriptions/ interviews/ studies/ data that you gathered.
5. Use various rhetorical strategies (specific examples, evidence from experts or authorities, description, comparison and contrast, testimonials, and definitions) to support your position in this Rogerian Argumentative Essay.
6. Make sure that you very clearly and specifically identify at least one problem that you discovered as you did the research and propose at least one feasible, logical solution.
7. Make sure that you explain or define the “issue” or the “problem” you are working on in this argumentative essay. Please do so in your introduction or, if you need to do this at length, in the first body paragraph (a background paragraph). Do this, so that your audience understands and agrees with you – that you are, in fact, dealing with a problematic situation.
8. Ensure that you have a clear thesis as your last one or two sentences of your introductory paragraph and well-developed paragraphs.
9. Add smooth transitions between paragraphs.
10. Don’t forget to include at least seven outside sources that allow you to support your argument. Be aware of consulting unreliable online websites.
11. Use MLA8 format to properly document all of your sources in the text of your essay. This will require you to use parenthetical citations and provide “Works Cited” page following the last page of your essay.